Hi all! I have a whole bunch of elk since my hubby’s hunting success this Fall. I have been subbing our ground elk for recipes where I use ground beef. However, I have never made a really good chili, regardless of meat choice. Well the time came this past week, where we needed to bring chili and so I simply “googled” elk chili and found this recipe. It was delicious as soon as I browned the meat and combined the remaining ingredients!You should’ve seen the look on my friend, Kristi’s, face when after two servings I told her it was elk she was eating! Hilarious! She said she normally can always tell it’s elk, but there was no “gamey-ness” to it. Even though she was weirded out, she went back for more. I omitted the sweetener and the kidney beans, from the original recipe, to make it Paleo (and we did not feel it was needed).
Another important aspect, it took me literally 15 minutes to make the finished product. Of course it tastes better the longer it simmers, but yummy right off the bat!
I recommend this recipe with ground beef as well! Hope you enjoy!
- 2 pounds ground elk or beef
- 2 large yellow onions, diced
- 2 (10 ounce) cans tomato sauce (I used 1 29 oz. can)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large deep skillet over medium heat, cook the ground elk with the onion until evenly browned. Drain off excess grease.
- Pour the tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, and green chilies into the skillet with the meat, and stir to blend. Season with chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, and oregano. *Cover, and simmer over low heat for at least one hour.
*I did this by putting the chili in my crockpot on low.