I made this as a compliment to breakfast, just this morning, for the 1st time. The recipe is from “Paleo Comfort Foods” and to be honest, we all felt great comfort as these were going down.
- 16 oz. fresh strawberries
- 1-2 teaspoons raw honey (optional)
- 2 cups blanched (I used unblanched) almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil (or ghee)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Wash and slice strawberries as small as you want.
- Mix in a bowl together with honey, if desired.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a sheet pan with some parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond flou, baking soda, and cinnamon. Using a fork or knife, cut the coconut oil into the almond flour to form and mix, so that you’ve formed some small beads of butter in the dough.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, honey, and vanilla. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry.
- Using a spoon or measuring cup, drop the dough onto the sheet pan into 8 evenly sized cakes, leaving room in between each cake.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow cakes to cool, then slice horizontally, and spoon some of the strawberry mixture into the middle, and some extra on the side.
I followed the recipe exactly and it turned out so yummy! I also double the recipe for the cakes too, easily! Great with coffee! My picture stinks but the product was so satisfying! Having said that, please understand that Paleo “cheats” or desserts, in my opinion, are for after you have acclimated to the diet itself and have built up disciple that prevents you from eating “cheats” on a regular basis. The last thing you want to do is free your diet of those addicting sweets and grains, and then introduce Paleo’s version of them! Remember these should be consumed SPARINGLY! *However, I also love treats like these, because it helps you realize that you don’t have to have white sugar and flour to have a great tasting dessert!
Link to the recipe source: www.paleocomfortfoods.com