Well, I am busy preparing for another shoulder surgery and I am trying to cook some meals and freeze them, so that my hubby has an easier time working, training, as well as caring for the kids and I. Oh, AND the chickens (with Carlee’s help)!
I already made PaleOMG’s Bacon Meatballs with Mustard sauce tonight, which used simliar ingredients, so I made these as well. I think the balsamic vinegar adds variety and, of course, who can object to bacon and apples?!
Link to recipe source: http://paleomg.com/sage-bison-burgers-balsamic-bacon-apple-chutney/
For the burgers (I made meatballs instead)
- 1lb Ground Bison (I used 1.5 lbs. of ground beef)
- 2 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons choice of fat (I used bacon fat)
For the chutney
- 5-6 slices bacon, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- pinch of salt
- Place large skillet under medium heat and add diced bacon. Cook down until bacon is completely cooked through, then place cooked bacon on a plate with a paper towel and leave 2-3 tablespoons of bacon fat in the pan.
- Then add your diced onion to the hot pan and cook down until translucent.
- Next add your apple and mix with onion and cover to let cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Then add your balsamic vinegar and water and a bit of salt and thoroughly mix together until the balsamic vinegar is completely incorporated in.
- While your chutney is finishing cooking, mix your burger ingredients together in a bowl.
- Make 4 burger patties and place burgers in a skillet under medium heat with 1-2 tablespoons of your choice of fat.
- Cook on both sides for about 5-8 minutes or until cooked to preference.
- Place chutney on top of burgers and consume!!